Sunday, June 24, 2007

Daddy Long Legs

I just finished reading this book called ‘Daddy Long legs’ by an author called Jean Webster (never hear of her/him before). I happened to fish this e-book in the folder that gomu had copied onto my laptop. (So sweet of her!)
It’s a collection of letters sent by an orphaned 18 year old to her benefactor who provides for her education where she writes about college, vacation and her loneliness, country, etc., written in a simple, humorous, lively and engaging manner.
These are certain parts of the book that really enchanted me while I read them:


--It isn't the great big pleasures that count the most; it's making a great deal out of the little ones--I've discovered the true secret of happiness, Daddy, and that is to live in the now. Not to be for ever regretting the past, or anticipating the future; but to get the most that you can out of this very instant. It's like farming. You can have extensive farming and intensive farming; well, I am going to have intensive living after this. I'm going to enjoy every second, and I'm going to KNOW I'm enjoying it while I'm enjoying it. Most people don't live; they just race. They are trying to reach some goal far away on the horizon, and in the heat of the going they get so breathless and panting that they lose all sight of the beautiful, tranquil country they are passing through; and then the first thing they know, they are old and worn out, and it doesn't make any difference whether they've reached the goal or not. I've decided to sit down by the way and pile up a lot of little happinesses, even if I never become a Great Author. Did you ever know such a philosopheress as I am developing into? Yours ever, Judy.
PS. It's raining cats and dogs tonight. Two puppies and a kitten have just landed on the
window-sill.
--I know lots of girls (Julia, for instance) who never know that they are happy. They are so accustomed to the feeling that their senses are deadened to it; but as for me--I am perfectly sure every moment of my life that I am happy. And I'm going to keep on being, no matter what unpleasant things turn up. I'm going to regard them (even toothaches) as interesting experiences, and be glad to know what they feel like. `Whatever sky's above me, I've a heart for any fate.'